Error: The specified module could not be found.
When attempting to connect to a server from the Add GIS Server dialog in the ArcCatalog table of contents or from the ArcMap Add Data function, the following error appears:
"The specified module could not be found."
This issue can also occur when opening a .lyr file that references a map service, such as a .lyr or layer package downloaded from ArcGIS.com. In this case, the map image does not display, there is a red exclamation point (!) next to the layer in the ArcMap table of contents, and no error message is displayed.
ArcMap is unable to find a component necessary to connect to a GIS server.
Solution or Workaround
This issue may be resolved by re-registering c:\windows\system32\msxml4.dll.
- Open a Windows command prompt.
• On Windows XP or Windows Server 2003:a. Click Start > Run.
b. In the Run dialog, type "CMD" and press ENTER.
c. A Windows command prompt launches.
• On Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008:a. Click Start > Run.
b. If the Run button is unavailable from the Start menu, type "RUN" in the Windows Search bar. The Run dialog should appear.
c. In the Run dialog, type "CMD" and press ENTER.
d. A Windows command prompt launches.
- In the command prompt window, type the following command:
If successful, Windows returns the message:
"DllRegisterServer in msxml4.dll succeeded."
- Add the GIS server or open the layer package again. The resource is now accessible.