Problem: Map service does not reconnect to an ODBC data source
A layer in a map service that uses an ODBC connection is unavailable if the connection to the data source has been interrupted.
An ODBC connection is handled differently than an SDE connection. If the connection between ArcGIS Server and the ODBC data source is broken, restarting the map service is required to recover the data.
Solution or Workaround
Restart the map service to restore the ODBC connection to the data source. Restarting the map service may be done using ArcCatalog or through ArcGIS Server Manager, as described below.
- Log in to ArcGIS Server Manager.
- Expand Services, and click Manage Services.
- In the Manage Services pane of the Manager window, select the map service, and click Restart.
- ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 Web Help: Starting, stopping, and pausing services
- ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 Web Help: What is a map service?