How To: Create a filtered layer to show a group of ZIP Codes
Use the Layer > Filter Layer Selection tool to create a new layer of the selected geography.
Instructions provided describe how to create a map solely of a collection of ZIP Codes (or other geographic layer such as counties). A possible use case is to color code an area by any variable, such as population, without skewing the analysis by data outside of the desired region.
- Be sure to work with a USA Template and not the Continental Template, since it is already filtered.
- Zoom to the desired area using the Zoom tool or use Find > Location, and enter the city name or county in that area.
- Be sure the ZIP Code layer in the layers window is active (it has a check mark on it).
- Use the ID tool or one of the find tools, such as Find by Circle or Find by Polygon. When using these query tools, a menu appears after the circle or polygon is drawn - select the ZIP 5 layer to select all ZIPs in the drawn shape. The Database window displays the selection highlighted in yellow.
- To create a filtered layer using this selected data in the database window, choose Layer > Filter Layer Selection from the menu.
- It is possible to change the layer name, visibility, border lines, or the fill color of these ZIP Codes by right-clicking on the layer in the Layers window and selecting the Edit Layer wizard. It is possible to change the properties of the layer in this wizard.