Error: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized
Upload Project returns the below error:
---- Business Analyst Desktop Errors: -----
Unable to upload content to the server: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
Enable anonymous access is not checked in Authentication Methods in Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS).
Solution or Workaround
The 'arcgisoutput' directory needs anonymous access enabled in Authentication Methods in Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). If the Enable anonymous access is unchecked, the authentication to the URL fails resulting in the (401) Unauthorized error:
Prior to (401) Unauthorized error, a dialog box may display asking for Username and Password, like so:
Providing the information may not help.
- To Enable anonymous access, first open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. This can be done using the operating system's Administrative Tools.
- In the IIS Manger dialog box, expand the
- Web Sites
- Default Web Site
If there is a custom IIS configuration, navigate to the location of arcgisoutput directory.
- Right-click on the arcgisoutput directory. Select Properties. In the arcgisoutput Properties dialog box, select Directory Security and select Edit...
- This opens up the Authentication Methods dialog box. In this dialog box, ensure that Enable anonymous access is checked.
- Click OK.
- Restart IIS and ArcGIS Server services.
To ensure that all the services were restarted, log off and log on before executing Upload Project again.