How To: Make a cache using World Mercator Auxiliary Sphere (WKID 102100) for use with Bing Maps and ArcGIS Online services
When caching using the 'Bing Maps/Google Maps' tiling scheme in ArcCatalog or ArcGIS Manager, the cache is based on Web Mercator with an ID of 102113. If the underlying data used in the cache has a datum that is not in WGS 1984, the resulting cache will not overlay correctly with Bing Maps or ArcGIS Online services that are already in the 'Bing Maps/Google Maps' scheme.
Instructions provided describe how to build the cache using the Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) with an ID of 102100:
- Download the tiling scheme XML file (conf102100.zip) from the Related Information section below, and unzip it anywhere on the computer that is accessible to ArcMap or ArcCatalog.
- Start the service that must be cached.
- In ArcCatalog or in the Catalog pane (ArcMap), right-click the service and select Service Properties.
- In the Service Editor dialog box, click the Caching tab.
- Under Draw this map service, check the Using tiles from a cache checkbox.
- Under Tiling Scheme, select A tiling scheme file from the drop-down list.
- In the Load Tiling Scheme dialog box, browse to the tiling scheme XML file downloaded in step 1, and click Add.
- Click OK to save the changes.
The data are now cached correctly using the Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) with an ID of 102100.
- ArcGIS Desktop Help: Using Bing Maps
- ArcGIS Server Help: Available map and image cache properties
- ArcGIS Server Help: Accessing map and image cache properties in ArcGIS for Desktop
- ArcGIS Server Help: Create a map cache
- ArcGIS Server Help: Tutorial: Creating a cached map service
- ArcGIS Blog: ArcGIS Online moving to Google / Bing tiling scheme: What does this mean for you?
Last Published: 7/24/2019
Article ID: 000010769
Software: ArcMap 10.7.1, 10.7, 10.6.1, 10.6, 10.5.1, 10.5