FAQ: Why are some general text symbol properties grayed out for labels?
Why are some general text symbol properties grayed out for labels?
The Angle and Vertical Alignment text symbol properties are not used by ArcMap's standard label placement engine and are inactive (grayed out). These options are only available when editing the properties of a graphic text element.
However, the Maplex Label Engine provides a set of label placement properties for advanced labeling. This includes rotating the labels at a specified angle and offsetting labels vertically from the labelled features.
To rotate labels by an angle taken from an attribute field, refer to the steps provided in the following document: Setting label rotation using a numeric field. Refer to Offsetting labels from polygon boundaries to offset labels from polygon features, and Offsetting line labels from a line to offset line labels from a line.
See the links in the Related Information section for more information on setting labels position, rotation, and orientation.
- ArcMap Help: Label symbols and styles
- ArcMap Help: General Maplex Label Engine settings
- ArcMap Help: Maplex Label Engine placement properties for advanced labeling
- ArcMap Help: Introduction to the Maplex Label Engine tutorial
- ArcMap Help: Labeling points
- ArcMap Help: Labeling lines
- ArcMap Help: Labeling polygons
- ArcMap Help: Selecting a polygon label position
- ArcMap Help: Selecting a line label position
- How To: Create stacked labels from text in the same field
- How To: Set point feature labels at a user-specified or field-based angle in ArcMap
- How To: Rotate point labels by an attribute field and offset them so that labels are placed on top of the points
- Problem: Changes to some label text symbol properties are not reflected on the map