How To: Modify the output raster buffer size in Advanced ArcMap Settings
Instructions provided describe how to modify the output raster buffer size in Advanced ArcMap Settings.
The ArcMap Advanced Settings utility is a companion settings utility for ArcMap designed to give users safe access to customization settings for ArcMap that cannot be changed within the software itself. While administrative privileges are required to make many changes in the ArcMap Advanced Settings utility, those privileges are not required for the procedure described below, which operates on the user's registry settings only.
The default value for the output raster buffer is 8 MB. Setting the buffer size to a larger value like 16 or 32 can make images export (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF) faster. Larger values cause performance to improve up to a certain threshold. However, once the value becomes very large, like 64 MB or higher, the machine may start to use page file instead of RAM, and performance decreases.
- Start Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\bin and double-click on AdvancedArcMapSettings.exe to start the Advanced ArcMap Settings.
- Click the Print\Export tab.
- To modify the temporary metafile size limit, delete the value, by default set to 8, and enter a new value. ESRI recommends trying 16 or 32.
- Click Apply and click Close.
The utility never writes anything to the registry unless the Apply button is pressed, and then, it only writes settings for those values that have changed.
- Improve printing or exporting performance
- Modify the temporary metafile size limit in Advanced ArcMap Settings
- Modify the vector export polygon vertex limit in Advanced ArcMap Settings