FAQ: Does ArcGIS provide a way to identify or remove features with duplicate geometries?
Does ArcGIS provide a way to identify or remove features with duplicate geometries?
At ArcGIS Desktop version 10, a new tool has been added: Delete Identical. See the link in the Related Information section below.
ArcGIS Desktop 9.x, however, does not offer a mechanism for identifying and/or removing features with duplicate geometries. Consider using one of the scripts written by various members of the user community available on ArcScripts.
Each ArcScript performs differently, so it is important to review the available options to determine the best fit for your needs. Esri does not support the content or functionality of ArcScripts, so any issue encountered with the sample should be addressed by contacting its author.
- ArcScript: Delete Duplicated Features
- ArcScript: StackFinder 1.0 (for 9)
- ArcScript: Find Overlapping Polygons (ArcGIS 9.2/9.3)
- ArcScript: Find and Delete Spatially Duplicate Records in a Shapefile
- ArcScript: Select Overlapping Polygons
- Identify duplicate field values
- ArcGIS Desktop 10 Help: Delete Identical
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000010437