How To: Publish to ArcGIS Server from an ArcSDE geodatabase for SQL Server Express in ArcCatalog
Instructions provided describe how to publish to ArcGIS Server from an ArcSDE geodatabase for SQL Server Express in ArcCatalog. Publishing to ArcGIS Server from an ArcSDE geodatabase for SQL Server Express must be done from the Database Connections node, not the Database Servers node in ArcCatalog.
Use the Save Connection menu item to create a spatial database connection to the desired geodatabase, and publish to ArcGIS Server from the spatial database connection.
- In the ArcCatalog tree, find the Database Servers node and connect to the database server (SQL Server Express instance) containing the data.
- Right-click the desired geodatabase and click 'Save Connection'.
- Expand the Database Connections node. The new connection file has the name 'Connection to <server>_<sql server express instance>'. Double-click this connection.
- If publishing a map or feature service, add the data to ArcMap from this connection and create and save the map. Publish the map from the Catalog tree by right-clicking the map and clicking 'Publish to ArcGIS Server'.
• If publishing a geodata service, right-click the connection file and click 'Publish to ArcGIS Server'.
• See the help topics in the Related Information section for more information on publishing.
- Preparing resources for publishing as services
- Geodata services
- Publishing a GIS resource to the server in ArcCatalog