Error: Error creating this geodatabase no ArcSDE Server license found
When attempting to create a new geodatabase on an ArcSDE database server, the following error may occur:
"Error creating this geodatabase no ArcSDE Server license found."
This message is returned if an incorrect instance name was used when enabling a SQL Server Express instance to store ArcSDE Personal or Workgroup geodatabases, also referred to as ArcSDE for SQL Server Express.
SQL Server Express instances used for ArcSDE database servers must be named instances of SQL Server Express. That means the named instance has to be specified when enabling SQL Server Express to store ArcSDE Personal or Workgroup geodatabases. The following is an example of a named instance of SQL Server Express:
The instance name specified when enabling the SQL Server Express instance to store ArcSDE Personal or Workgroup geodatabases should never be a default instance. For example, this instance name is incorrect:
Please note that the license for ArcSDE Personal is included with ArcGIS Desktop at the ArcEditor or ArcInfo license levels. The license for ArcSDE Workgroup is included with ArcGIS Server at the Server Workgroup license level.
Solution or Workaround
The ArcSDE Personal or Workgroup keycode is written to the registry entry for the SQL Server database that was specified during the Database Server Setup Wizard. If the wrong SQL Server instance or an incorrectly named SQL Server Express instance is specified, the ArcSDE keycode will be written to the wrong location in the registry. In this case, when a geodatabase is created on the database server, it fails because ArcSDE is not be able to find the ArcSDE keycode.
If the error was returned because the wrong instance was specified during post installation setup, re-run the Database Server Setup Wizard and specify the correct SQL Server Express instance.
If the SQL Server Express instance was incorrectly installed using a default instance name, for example \\SERVERNAME, uninstall that SQL Server Express instance and install a new named instance of SQL Server Express, for example \\SERVERNAME\SQLEXPRESS. Once the new named instance is installed, run the Database Server Setup Wizard and specify the named instance.
- For ArcSDE Personal, follow these steps to setup the Database Server:
1. In the ArcCatalog table of contents, expand the Database Servers folder.
2. Double-click the Add Database Server icon, and the following dialog box appears.
3. Select the name of the SQL Server Express instance to store the geodatabases. Click OK.
4. Type the login name of the user who acts as the server administrator on the SQL Server Express instance being enabled. Click OK.
5. If enabling an ArcSDE for SQL Server Express instance licensed through ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Engine, this is the final step.
- For ArcSDE Workgroup, follow these steps to register the SQL Express database instance with the Workgroup license:
1. Run the Database Server Setup Wizard, which is initiated by running the ArcSDE for SQL Server Express option on the ArcGIS Server Workgroup install disk. Be sure to uncheck the option to install SQL Server Express if it is already on the system.
2. Specify the SQL Server instance name and Windows login, and click Next.
3. A message is received that the login was successfully added to the server. Click OK.
4. Notification is displayed of the requirement to license the server. Click Next.
5. Options are presented to either authorize the software over the internet, or use a pre-existing license file. In this example, a pre-existing license file is used. Browse to the file and click Next.
6. The features being authorized are displayed in the dialog. Click Finish to conclude the Database Server Setup Wizard.
For further information on the setup procedure, please refer to the ArcSDE for SQL Server Express Installation Guide (link below).
- Failed to connect to database. No ArcSDE server license found
- ArcSDE for SQL Server Express Installation Guide
- Types of geodatabases