Error: This patch package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package
When attempting to install a service pack for ArcGIS Desktop, the following error is encountered:
"This patch package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."
This error can be caused by one or more system conflicts.
Solution or Workaround
The following is a list of the most common solutions for this error.
- Special characters in directory names containing the service pack file, such as ' `, can prohibit it from running. To avoid this, copy the service pack installation file to the root C: drive and attempt the installation from that location.
- Update the Windows Installer to the latest version. The download link for the Windows Installer is below in Related Information.
- Install the service pack from the command line. Navigate to Start > Run. Type CMD. Click OK. Type the following command and press Enter:
msiexec.exe /p C:\ArcGISDesktop9(#)sp(#).msp
- Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2) for Windows 2000
- Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable for Windows XP, 2003, Vista and 2008