How To: Reconfigure the ArcGIS License Manager after the license server hostname is changed
Instructions provided describe how to reconfigure the ArcGIS License Manager after the license server hostname is changed.
If the name of the computer that ArcGIS License Manager is installed on is changed, the ArcGIS License Manager will need to be reconfigured to use that new computer name. Otherwise, license errors are received.
1) Locate a copy of the Esri concurrent use (floating) license file. This file is usually named with the same number as the concurrent use license dongle (hardware key), which always begins with the numbers ‘371’ and has an extension of .EFL9. If the floating license file cannot be found, request a copy by visiting http://service.esri.com, and clicking ‘request a new license file’, or by contacting Esri Customer Service at 888-377-4575.
2) Open that license file using Notepad.
3) Locate the line near the beginning of the license which reads ‘SERVER’. Change the name of the machine listed after ‘SERVER’ to match the PC's new hostname:
To find the PC's hostname, open a command prompt by going to Start > Run. In the 'Run' text box, type CMD and click OK. The DOS console should appear. In the console, type HOSTNAME and press 'Enter'. The value returned is the machine's hostname.
4) Save the file.
5) Navigate to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager (9.x) > Update License and complete the wizard, pointing to the .EFL9 license file that was just edited.
6) Navigate to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager (9.x) > License Manager Tools. Select the option 'Configuration using services.' Click the Start/Stop/Reread tab. Click Stop Server, Start Server, and Reread License File. It should say that the reread completed successfully.
The reconfiguration is now complete. To use the new computer name as the license server, navigate to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Desktop Administrator on a computer where ArcGIS Desktop is installed. Click License Manager on the left and the Change button on the right. Type in the license server's new name and click OK.