Problem: Installation hangs when registering .ocx files
The installation of ArcGIS Desktop hangs or does not continue at the point of registering a .dll or a .ocx file. The .ocx file can differ depending on the specific machine on which ArcGIS is being installed.
The .ocx files are Active X controls that can sometimes be blocked by anti-virus software.
Solution or Workaround
If the ArcGIS Desktop installation gets hung up at this point, disable any anti-virus software, and the installation should continue. If the install does not continue, follow the steps below:
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete at the same time and select Task Manager.
- Select the Processes tab and locate any and all processes named msiexec.exe.
- Find the msiexec.exe that is using the least amount of CPU percentage. Select it and click the End Process button at the bottom right corner. Continue to end the msiexec.exe processes that use the least amount of CPU until the ArcGIS installation continues.
- Once the installation is complete, it is necessary to re-register the .ocx. This can be done by going to Start > Run. Type 'cmd' and select OK.
- Change the directory to c:\program files\arcgis\bin and type the following command: regsvr32, followed by the specific .ocx name, for instance regsvr32 teechart7.ocx