FAQ: Do path names have limits on UNIX platforms?
Do path names have limits on UNIX platforms?
Yes, there are several limits to path names on UNIX platforms.
Mixed and uppercase paths are not supported on UNIX for GRIDs and ARC/INFO coverages.
- No part of the path may have uppercase letters.
- No part of the path may have spaces.
- The maximum length of a GRID name is 13 characters.
- The maximum length of a GRID Stack filename is 9 characters.
- The maximum length of the full path to a GRID is 128 characters.
- If the GRID name is 13 characters, the path leading up to it can be at most 100 characters.
A GRID is actually a directory of files, whose characters are included in the 128 character limit.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000009891