Error: synchronize replica failed or create replica failed
When creating a replica over the internet the following error message displays:
"create replica failed".
When synchronizing a replica over the internet the following error message displays:
"synchronize replica failed".
However, replicas can be created and synchronized using a manager connection or a local connection.
Replica creation and synchronization involves file exchange. When connecting over the internet, files are uploaded and downloaded through the server's virtual output directory. If the client cannot access this directory, one of the above errors occurs.
Solution or Workaround
Ensure that the virtual output directory can be accessed from the client. If the client cannot access this directory, adjust the settings to allow access or change the virtual output directory. To find the virtual output directory that the client is using, follow the steps below:
- Find the config file for the geodata service. This can be found in the server\user\cfg folder under the ArcGIS install location on the ArcGIS sever, such as c:\program files\arcgis\server\user\cfg. The file is called <geodata service name>.geodataservice.cfg
- Open the file and look for the value inside the <VirtualOutputDir></VirtualOuputDir> tags. This is the virtual output directory. For example, http://test.esri.com/arcgisoutput is the virtual output directory in the following case:
- On the server, place a file in the virtual output directory. A small image file such as a bitmap works well.
- Open internet explorer on the client machine and attempt to access the file using the virtual output directory path. For example, http://test.esri.com/Arcgisoutput/test.bmp. Once the file is accessed, the image can be seen in Internet Explorer.
To change the virtual output directory for a geodata service, see the article in Related Information.
- A change to the virtual output directory from an ArcGIS server manager connection in ArcCatalog is not applied to a geodata service