How To: Specify the X/Y domain extent in ArcGIS 9.2 and later
In previous versions of ArcGIS, problems occurred because of the X/Y domains, such as an "out of bounds" error and issues with resolutions or precisions being too coarse for the data. Therefore, good or valid X/Y domains are now provided, as long as a coordinate system is defined. This prevents the prior issues from occurring.
Instructions provided describe how to specify the X/Y domain extent of a feature class in ArcGIS 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 and 10.
- In ArcCatalog, create a new personal geodatabase by right-clicking on a new folder. Go to New > Personal Geodatabase.
- Right-click on the new personal geodatabase. Go to New > Feature Class.
- Name the feature class and select the geometry type. Click Next.
- Select <unknown> for the coordinate system. Click Next.
- Uncheck the box for 'Accept default resolution and domain extent (recommended)'. Click Next.
- Specify the desired values for Minimum and Maximum X and Y values. Click Next. Click Finish.
- After the feature class has been created, the data can be projected in the desired coordinate system.