Bug: Upgrade Spatial Reference fails to update some feature classes inside a feature dataset
When the Upgrade Spatial Reference geoprocessing tool is run against a feature dataset, some feature classes cannot be upgraded. An error similar to the following is returned:
"The spatial reference cannot be altered. [name of feature class]
The given coordinate references are incompatible
Failed to execute (UpgradeSpatialReference_1)."
This is a known issue in ArcGIS 9.2.
Feature classes, participating in a feature dataset, that store m-values with an m-domain that differs from the feature dataset's m-domain cannot be successfully upgraded.
If an error was returned from the Upgrade Spatial Reference geoprocessing tool on a feature dataset using ArcGIS 9.2 Service Pack 3 or earlier, run the Upgrade Spatial Reference geoprocessing tool a second time with ArcGIS 9.2 Service Pack 4.
- Navigate to the feature dataset in ArcCatalog.
- Expand the feature dataset in ArcCatalog.
- Right-click on a feature class inside the feature dataset and select 'Properties...'.
- Select the 'General' tab in the Feature Class Properties dialog box.
- Review the Data storage for the feature class. If the feature class is listed as high precision, continue to the next step. Otherwise, repeat steps 3-5 on the next feature class in the feature dataset.
- Select the 'Resolution' tab in the Feature Class Properties dialog box. Make a note of the XY Resolution and the Z Resolution (if applicable). These values are necessary for the Upgrade Spatial Reference operation.
- Close the Feature Class Properties dialog box.
- Right-click on the feature dataset and select 'Upgrade Spatial Reference...'.
- Select the values for the XY Resolution and M Resolution in the Upgrade Spatial Reference geoprocessing tool that match the XY Resolution and Z Resolution in step 6.
- Click OK on the Upgrade Spatial Reference geoprocessing tool. This upgrades the spatial reference successfully.