Bug: Feature-linked annotation disappears when editing attributes in the source feature class
** This article only applies to ArcGIS 9.2 or earlier. This bug has been resolved at version 9.3. **
When editing the attribute fields of a feature class that participate in a label expression, the feature-linked annotation is disappearing.
1. Add the ESRI States feature class to ArcMap.
2. In Layer Properties > Labels, type the following expression: [STATE_NAME] + " " + [AREA]. Label the features.
3. Convert the labels to feature-linked annotation.
4. Start editing States.
5. Open the attribute table and change a STATE_NAME value.
6. When the edits are applied, the feature-linked annotation disappears.
Using the '+' operator in the label expression is causing the text geometry of the feature-linked annotation to be deleted.
Use the '&' operator instead of the '+' operator in the label expression.
[STATE_NAME] & " " & [AREA]