How To: Change the driving directions inset map scale levels
The Directions Window in ArcGIS Network Analyst allows the user to view turn-by-turn inset maps for each instruction in the driving directions. On each inset map, there is a scale control that allows the user to change between 9 map scale levels:
Instructions provided describe how to change the computer registry to change the map scale for the highest level (1:2500) of the driving directions inset map by adding an entry named NAStreetDirectionsScale1.
The user can override the map scales of other levels by adding similarly named entries. For example, to override the second and fourth levels (1:3600 and 1:7700), create entries in the registry with the names NAStreetDirectionsScale2 and NAStreetDirectionsScale4.
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Close any ArcGIS applications that are open.
- Open the Windows Registry Editor.
- Click Start > Run.
- Type regedit.
- Click OK.
- Navigate to My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\NetworkAnalyst\Directions\.
- Right-click the Directions folder, point to New, and click DWORD Value. A new REG_DWORD is created with the default name of New Value #1.
- Rename New Value #1 to NAStreetDirectionsScale1.
- Right-click NAStreetDirectionsScale1 and click Modify.
- Type in the desired zoom scale. For example, to set the zoom scale to 1:2000, set the Base to Decimal and enter the value 2000.
Warning: Be sure to use the appropriate Base when entering values. For example, the value 50 with a Decimal base has a value of fifty; but the value 50 with a Hexadecimal base has a value of eighty.
- Click OK.
- Repeat steps 4 through 8 to create additional entries in the registry.
- Close the Registry Editor.