Error: Configuration error: Unrecognized attribute 'xmlns'
After installing the Web Application Developer Framework (ADF) or Web Applications features of the ArcGIS Server 9.2 for the Microsoft .NET Framework product, running a Web application fails with the error message:
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request.
Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'xmlns'. Note that attribute names are case sensitive"
During the installation, unexpected XMLNS attributes were added to the web.config file located under C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG.
The presence of the following configuration value at the top of the web.config adds the additional XMLNS attributes upon installation of the Web ADF and Web Applications features:
Typically, this error does not occur after installation because on most systems, this line only contains the following value:
Installation of a service pack or patch may also cause this error.
Note that attribute names are case sensitive.
Solution or Workaround
NOTE: The following procedure requires modifying the machine's web.config file. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. ESRI cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions. Therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config.
- Create a backup copy of the web.config file.
- Open the web.config file in a text editor application, such as MS WordPad.
- Locate the <httpHandlers> attribute. The three lines that immediately follow the <httpHandlers> line were added by the installation of the Web ADF or Web Application features.
- Edit each of these three lines to remove the XMLNS="" attribute. Example follows.
The end of each line before edit:
PublicKeyToken=8fc3cc631e44ad86" validate="false" xmlns="" />
The end of each line after edit:
PublicKeyToken=8fc3cc631e44ad86" validate="false" />
- Save the changes to the web.config file.