Problem: ArcGIS Server 9.2 on Solaris and Linux stores passwords in clear text when a new ArcGIS Server user was created during the install
The password that is entered for the new user is stored in clear text in an uninstaller properties file.
This is applicable only if the ArcGIS Server installer was selected to create the owner of ArcGIS Server at install time.
The uninstall properties file contains information that is used during the uninstallation of ArcGIS Server. The password for a newly created user is not required during uninstall and should not be stored in this file.
Solution or Workaround
Run the script 'ArcGISServer92_PasswordCleaner.sh', installed as part of ArcGIS Server 9.2 SP2 in the arcgis/scripts folder to remove the clear text password entries from the uninstall properties file.
Use the first procedure if ArcGIS Server 9.2 SP2 is already installed.
If ArcGIS Server 9.2 SP2 is not installed, use the second procedure to manually remove the clear text password references.
- ArcGIS Server 9.2 SP2 is already installed
1. Login as root user.
2. Change directory to <ArcGIS_Server_install_location>/arcgis/scripts.
3. Run ArcGISServer92_PasswordCleaner.sh.
4. The following message is displayed upon successful execution of this script
"Password information now removed from 'filename'"
- ArcGIS Server 9.2 SP2 is not installed
1. Login as owner of ArcGIS Server.
2. Change directory to arcgis/.Setup/UninstallArcGISServer/.
3. Edit the file installvariables.properties, for example, using vi.
4. Search for SRV_USER_PASSWORD and delete its value.
5. Search for SRV_USER_PASSWORD_VERIFY and delete its value.
6. Save the file and close text editor.