How To: Add a printer so that ArcPress autoselects the appropriate driver
Instructions provided describe modifying the ArcPress printer engine's autoselect data file. ArcPress uses the autoselect file to associate specific printer model names with a given ArcPress driver. If ArcPress does not recognize the exact model name of the printer being used, it is possible to add an entry to this file to associate the printer model name with one of the ArcPress drivers.
The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of the ArcPress install. It is recommended that the file C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\bin\ArcPressAutoDrvSel.dat is backed up before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary.
ESRI cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions. Therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Select Start > Settings > Control Panel > Printers and Faxes.
- Locate the printer to set with an ArcPress driver, right-click it, and select Properties.
- Look for the word Model on the General tab; select the entire driver name after the word Model and copy it.
- Start Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\bin.
- Open ArcPressAutoDrvSel.dat in Notepad.
- Scroll down and find <Driver Name="HP RTL (RGB) TrueColor">.
- Enter a new line after <Driver Name="HP RTL (RGB) TrueColor"> and add the following:
- On the same line, paste in the printer model name and add the following:
- Save ArcPressAutoDrvSel.dat and exit Notepad.