Problem: One or more of the selected objects does not support moving edits to base. This option is not available
When registering data as versioned with ArcCatalog, the following message is displayed:
"One or more of the selected objects does not support moving edits to base. This option is not available."
This message is displayed in the following scenarios:
1. The client registering the data as versioned in ArcGIS Desktop 9.2, 9.3, or 9.3.1, but the data is stored in an ArcSDE 9.1 or earlier geodatabase. Since the option to move edits to base is new at 9.2, it is not possible to use it with data stored in a 9.1 geodatabase.
2. The feature dataset being registered as versioned contains a topology, geometric network, or terrain. These geodatabase objects require the full versioning model, so it is not possible to register them as versioned with the option to move edits to base.
3. The feature dataset being registered as versioned was previously registered as versioned without the option to move edits to base. New feature classes are added to a feature dataset that is registered as versioned without the option to move edits to base. To enable editing of the new feature classes, the feature dataset must be re-registered as versioned. Because all classes in a feature dataset must use the same level of versioning, the option to move edits to base is not available.
Solution or Workaround
Each solution below corresponds to a cause outlined above.
- It is only be possible to use move edits to base editing by upgrading to ArcSDE 9.2.
- Move edits to base editing is not available for these types of geodatabase objects.
- Unregister the dataset and register it with the option to move edits to base.
If there are versioned edits that have not been posted, unregistering causes data loss. See link in the Related Information section below for information on how to compress and migrate edits to the base tables.
- ArcGIS Desktop Help: Deciding how to register data
- ArcGIS Desktop Help: Registering and unregistering data as versioned
- Compress a versioned database to state 0