Error: Image size is larger than server can serve
Printing or exporting a map from ArcMap that contains data from Image Server displays the following error message:
"Image size is larger than server can serve."
The Image Server is being asked for an image larger than the Image Server is able to return. This happens most often when the Image Server data is placed on a larger page size, and/or in a large data frame, and/or printed or exported at a high resolution.
Solution or Workaround
Increase the limit of Image Server for the particular service.
- Click the Properties button on the Image Service Editor tool bar.
- Click the Client Interface Control node.
- Increase the numbers in Maximum Columns and Maximum Rows to suit output needs.
The maximum value should be a larger number than the maximum width and height of the map to be printed at the specified resolution. For example, a 24" x 36" map printed at 300 dpi will require at least 7200 x 10800 (24" x 300 by 36" by 300 dpi).
- Click the Image Service menu on the Image Service Editor toolbar, point to Advanced, and then click Compile.
- Start the Image Server Manager, synchronize the ISDef file with the service and refresh the service.
For optimal image print quality, set the output print quality to a minimum of 4; approximately 1 pixel is represented by 4 dots. On higher resolution printers, a value of 5 or greater is recommended for high image print quality.