How To: Precompile ASP.Net web application
Compiling takes a long time the first time when using ArcGIS Server Manager or the ArcIMS Web Manager if you have created ASP.Net web application.
Microsoft .NET Framework provides a command line tool to precompile ASP.Net applications to avoid the initial wait time.
Instructions provided describe how to use the tool with respect to web applications created using the Web Manager.
There are two options to precompile:
- Provide the virtual directory, assuming that the application has already been deployed in IIS.
- In the case that the web application is not yet deployed or if not using IIS as web server, provide the physical path to the web application.
The following procedure is for the first case since when using the manager the applications are typically deployed in the web server.
- Start a command prompt and navigate to the .NET Framework directory. For example:
- Run the following command:
aspnet_compiler -v /USABaseMap
Note: There are several useful switches that can be specified. See the links in the Related Information section below for further reference. The above example precompiles for a web application called 'USABaseMap' which is created using ArcGIS Server Manager at the IIS Webserver root directory, typically located at 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot'.
- MSDN How to: Precompile ASP.NET Web Sites - MSDN
- MSDN: ASP.NET Compilation Tool (Aspnet_compiler.exe) - MSDN