Error: Failed to connect to the specified server. Underlying DBMS error[ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified. No extended error]
When creating a direct connect from ArcGIS Desktop installed on a computer installed with Windows 64-bit, the following error message is displayed:
"Failed to connect to the specified server. Underlying DBMS error[ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified. No extended error.]"
This is a known issue with parentheses in install path names on the Windows 64-bit operating system.
Solution or Workaround
Perform one of the following workarounds:
- Reinstall ArcGIS Desktop on a Windows 64-bit computer to a path that does not contain parenthesis. For example:
- Fix the bug on a 64-bit computer:
1. Download and install the Oracle 10g 32 bit client from Oracle.com. This installs version 10.2.0.1 of the client.
2. Download and install Oracle Patch Number 4547817, which is '10.2.0.2 Patch for Windows 32-bit'. This upgrades the client to version 10.2.0.2.
3. Download and install Oracle 32-Bit Patch Number 5383042. This patch fixes Oracle Bug 3807408:Externally authenticated usernames containing a '(',')' or '=' cannot be authenticated, additionally if a program name / path contains these characters, it may not be possible to connect (ORA-12154).
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000008951