How To: Create a time attribute for a network dataset
Instructions provided shows how to create a time attribute for a network dataset when a MPH and Length field exist.
- Calculate the length of the street segments. Perform this one of two ways:
- Import the shapefile into a personal geodatabase.
Create a new double field and use the Field Calculator.
- Create a new double field in the attribute table.
- Right-click on the field and select Calculate Values.
- Calculate the time using the following formula in the Field Calculator:
[Length_field] / [MPH_field] * 60
The time is provided in minutes using this formula. It is usually necessary to adjust for another value. For example, multiply by 60 again to receive the time in seconds.