How To: Create a time attribute for a network dataset
Instructions provided shows how to create a time attribute for a network dataset when a MPH and Length field exist.
- Calculate the length of the street segments. Perform this one of two ways:
- Import the shapefile into a personal geodatabase.
- Create a new double field and use the Field Calculator.
- Create a new double field in the attribute table.
- Right-click the new field and select Calculate Values.
- Calculate the time using the following formula in the Field Calculator:
Note: In this example, the Length_field must be in units of miles for this formula to return the correct time values.
[Length_field] / [MPH_field] * 60
The time is provided in minutes using this formula. It is usually necessary to adjust for another value. For example, multiply by 60 again to receive the time in seconds.
Last Published: 12/18/2019
Article ID: 000008859