How To: Add Date/Time values to the attribute table based on the computer system time
Instructions provided describe how to add data and/or time values to the attribute table based on the current computer system time and date.
Personal Geodatabase and SDE feature classes can store both date and time; however, shapefiles can only store dates.
Information on querying date and time fields can be found in the help: ArcGIS Desktop Help Online - SQL Reference.
It is recommended to select specific features to modify, as the field calculator modifies only selected features. This allows for more control on which features are updated with the computer system date and time.
- Create a date field in the feature classes' attribute table. 1. Right-click the layer and select Open Attribute Table.
2. Click the Options button and select 'add field'.
3. Enter a name for the field, select 'data' as the type, and click OK.
- Right-click the new date field heading in the attribute table and select Calculate Values.
- Type 'Date' in the field calculator window and click OK to run.