How To: Install Apache 2.0.58 with ServletExec 5.0 AS using J2SDK 5.0 Update 6 for ArcIMS 9.2 on Windows 2003Server/2000/XP
Instructions provided are for the installation and configuration of Apache 2.0.58 with ServletExec 5.0 AS using J2SE Development Kit 5.0 Update 6 for ArcIMS 9.2 on Windows 2003 Server.
Specific information for the installation of ArcIMS is included with the product's Install Guide.
This installation requires the following software:
- J2SE Development Kit (JDK) 5.0 Update 6
- Apache Web Server version 2.0.58
- ServletExec AS 5.0 (Available on the ArcIMS 9.2 Installation CD)
- ArcIMS 9.2 Installation DVD
Note: A user account that has Administrator rights on the ArcIMS machine is required.
- Familiarity with certain Windows tasks is required to install and configure ArcIMS. For details, see the following ESRI Knowledge Base article, Common Windows tasks when installing ArcIMS.
- For more information on the acronyms and terms used in this document, see the Glossary of terms used in ArcIMS Installation articles.
- Review and follow steps 1 and 2 from the ArcIMS Installation Guide on the DVD. These two steps ensure that the system meets the minimum requirements and assists in planning the ArcIMS site configuration. To open the ArcIMS Installation Guide, navigate to the DVD in Windows and double-click on Install.htm.
If ArcIMS components were distributed among several computers, it is recommended to first remove the components on each computer before continuing, by going to Add/Remove Programs and selecting Remove for ArcIMS.
Warning: A supported Web server and Servlet Engine must be properly installed and configured before running the setup program for ArcIMS.
- Uninstall any unsupported versions of Java, Web Server and Servlet Engine. For more information, refer to How To: Uninstall ArcIMS-related third-party software on Windows.
- Install Java 2 Standard Edition Development Kit version 5.0 Update 6.
- Click J2SE Development Kit (JDK) 5.0 Update 6 to download Sun Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, version 5.0 Update 6.
- Click 'Download JDK'.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Click on the download link for the Windows Offline Installation Multi-Language. The file jdk-1_5_0_06-windows-i586-p.exe is downloaded.
- Run the installer after it has finished downloading.
- Accept all of the default installation options, unless changes are required. This installs both the Java Runtime and Development Kit.
- After the install, Navigate to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Java.
- Click the 'Update' tab and remove the checkmark for 'Check for Updates Automatically'.
- Click Apply and close the Java Control Panel.
- Install Apache 2.0.58.
Warning: Prior to installing Apache Web Server, be sure to either uninstall IIS Web Server or change the port of its Default Web site from port 80 to an unreserved port (e.g., port 81). When changing the IIS port number, be sure to restart the IIS Web Server for the change to take effect. Failure to take any of these actions results in a failed Apache Web Server install.
- Click Apache Web Server version 2.0.58 and download the file 'apache_2.0.58-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi'.
- Navigate to the folder where the file was downloaded and double-click it to run the installation.
- At the Welcome screen, click Next.
- At the License Agreement screen, read and accept the terms of the license agreement. Click Next.
- At the Read This First screen, click Next.
- At the Server Information screen, type in the Network Domain, Server Name or computer name and the e-mail address of the administrator.
- Select 'for All Users, on Port 80, as a Service -- Recommended'. Click Next.
- At the Setup Type screen, select Typical and click Next.
- At the Destination Folder screen, accept the default installation location or click Change to specify a different location. Click Next.
- At the Ready to Install the Program screen, click Install.
- At the Installation Wizard Completed screen, click Finish.
- Modify the httpd.conf file. Click Start > Programs > Apache HTTP Server 2.0.58 > Configure Apache Server > Edit the Apache httpd.conf Configuration File.
- Locate the line 'DirectoryIndex index.html' and add 'default.htm' and 'default.html' at the end so it reads:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var default.htm default.html
- Save the file and close the window.
- Verify that the installation was successful. Open a Web browser and type http://machinename (replace with the server's machinename).
If the page does not display, proceed to the next step (Step P) to ensure that the Apache Web server is running.
- Open the Windows Services panel.
- A service named Apache2 should be listed as started. If not, select the Apache2 service and start it by clicking the 'Start Service' triangle in the toolbar.
Note: If the default Apache page still does not display, an error was made during one of the installation steps. Repeat the installation, or check the Apache Documentation. Additional resources on installing the Apache Web Server can be found here.
- Install ServletExec AS 5.0.
- Navigate to the ServletExec directory on the ArcIMS installation CD. Double-click on the 'ServletExec_AS_50.exe' application to begin the install.
- At the 'ServletExec 5.0 Application Server Setup' window, click Next.
- At the Setup Type window ensure that 'Install a ServletExec AS Instance' is selected and click Next.
- Read the 'License Agreement' and click Yes.
- Read the 'Information Page,' and click Next.
- At the 'Choose Destination Location' window accept the default location, or select Browse to change the directory location. Once a directory location has been selected, click Next.
- At the 'Enter Text' window, enter a name to uniquely identify this 'ServletExec Application Server Instance,' For example, computer name.
- At the 'Setup Type' window, select Apache HTTP Server and click Next.
- At the 'Select a Server' window confirm that Apache 2.0.58 is selected. Click Next.
Note: A warning may be returned that ServletExec AS 5.0 may not work with Apache version 2.0.58. Click OK to dismiss this message.
- At the 'Enter Text' window accept the default port of 8888 and click Next.
- At the 'Confirm ServletExec Installation' window review all selections made and click Next.
- At the 'Get ServletExec Admin Username and Password' window enter a username and password to administer ServletExec. Confirm the password. Click Next.
- At the Question box asking if users wish to install as an NT Service, click Yes.
- At the Information box informing that webadapter.properties was updated, click OK.
- At the Question box asking if users wish to have the HTTP.conf file updated automatically, click Yes.
- At the Information box informing users to check the HTTP.conf file, note the location of the original HTTP.conf file and click OK.
- At the 'Install Wizard Complete' window, uncheck the 'Display Readme' option and click Finish to exit the install wizard.
- Please download and install the latest Hotfix available for ServletExec AS from the New Atlanta Product Hotfix page.
- Open the Windows services panel.
- Right-click on the ServletExec service, choose Properties.
- In the 'ServletExec service's Properties' window, the 'Startup type' may need to be changed to Automatic. Click Start and then OK.
- Verify that the ServletExec-machinename service is started.
- Restart the Apache2 Service.
- Verify that ServletExec was installed successfully.
- Open a Web browser and type the following URL:
Warning: If this screen is not shown, do not proceed. Go through the prior installation steps again
- To license ServletExec, run Start > Programs > New Atlanta > ServletExec 5.0 AS> ServletExec Admin.
- In the license key box, type the license and click Enter License Key.
- Close ServletExec Admin.
- Install ArcIMS 9.2 from the installation DVD.
- Perform the ArcIMS Post Installation -- see step 3a in the ArcIMS Installation Guide -- to configure ArcIMS 9.2 with Apache and ServletExec.
- Select Typical as the Post Installation Option.
- Accept the default directories and options.
- When the Web Server-Servlet Engine Configuration is reached, select Apache 2.0.5x with ServletExec 5.0. Click Next.
- For Web Server Directory, enter the path where Apache 2.0.58 is installed; e.g., <drive>:\Apache\Apache2
- Confirm that the servlet engine directory points to the path where ServletExec AS 5.0 is installed; e.g., <drive>:\Program Files\New Atlanta\ServletExec
- Accept the default ServletExec instance to use - this should be the one you created when installing ServletExec. Click Next.
Note: The Web server / Servlet Engine configuration may take a few minutes to complete.
- Permit the Post Installation to restart the ArcIMS services.
- Restart the Web server and Servlet Engine once the Post Installation has finished.
- Verify that the ArcIMS installation was successful.
- Navigate to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > ArcIMS > ArcIMS Diagnostics.
- Verify that the Web server protocol and Web server name are correct, including the domain and port number. The default is port 80.
Note: On Windows XP/2003 machines, Internet Explorer sometimes does not show the host name and port number. If this is the case, right-click near the top of the window, under the address bar, and select 'Allow Blocked Content'.
- Test both components.
The result for Test 2 should be:
Note: If these tests are successful, the ArcIMS Application Server and ArcIMS Servlet Connector are configured correctly. If an error message is received, select the error number from the drop-down list and click View. The error number and a description displays. Follow the instructions in the description to fix the problem and run the Diagnostics tool again.
- For additional steps for configuring ArcIMS, refer to Step 5 in the ArcIMS 9.2 Installation Guide.