Problem: ArcMap and ArcCatalog performance issues
ArcMap and ArcCatalog take a long time to start and have poor performance.
This issue may occur when ArcInfo Desktop and ArcInfo Workstation are both installed, but the license server keys in the registry are not the same.
Solution or Workaround
Ensure the license server keys in the registry are pointing to the correct name.
- Navigate to Start > Run, type regedit, and click OK.
- In the registry, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\ESRI\License.
- Verify the registry key LICENSE_SERVER is the hostname of the computer where the license manager is installed.
- Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\ESRI\ArcInfo\workstation\8.0.
- Verify the registry key LICENSE_SERVER is set to the same hostname as in Step 3.
Note: To resolve ArcMap performance issues in version 10.x, refer to Problem: Performance issues with ArcGIS for Desktop 10.x.
- How To: Increase performance to make ArcMap start and run faster
- How To: Improve performance working in ArcMap and ArcCatalog
Last Published: 6/30/2021
Article ID: 000008820
Software: ArcGIS-ArcInfo 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3 ArcInfo Workstation 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3 Legacy Products