How To: Convert contour lines to CAD format
Instructions provided describe how to convert contour lines to CAD format, while preserving elevation values.
Follow the steps below:
- Convert the lines to a 3D layer. Add the 3D Analyst toolbar to ArcMap. Open the 3D Analyst drop-down menu > Convert > Features to 3D. Use the 'contour' field as the source of heights.
- Convert the 3D layer to points using the ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Features > Feature to Point tool.
- Use the Set CAD Alias tool to assign TxtValue to the field that contains the contour values. This is found in ArcToolbox > Conversion Tools > To CAD > Set CAD Alias. Click the box next to contour and select 'TxtValue'.
This is a deprecated tool at version 10 and later. To learn more about how this tool works click here. This functionality can be accomplished using Add Field and making simple field calculations.
- Use the Export to CAD tool to export both the point and 3D line shapefiles to a .dwg file.
- Create AutoCAD 3D Polylines from 3D ArcGIS Line Features
- Export to CAD fails to create AutoCAD 3D polylines or lightweight polylines with an elevation
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000008655