Error: 'mv' is not recognized as an internal or external command... DRENAM: No error
The following error message is displayed in ArcInfo Workstation most frequently when the CLEAN or BUILD commands are used, but may also occur with other ArcInfo Workstation commands. It also happens frequently on Windows XP, and may also occur on Windows 2000. This has been reported on Windows 7 as well.
"'mv' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
DRENAM: No error"
The cause for this error is unknown.
Solution or Workaround
Each of the suggestions below have resolved this issue for some other users.
- 1. Navigate to Start > Run, type notepad and click OK.
2. Type the following into a new, empty Notepad document:
move %1 %2
3. Save the file with the name 'mv.exe' or 'mv.bat' in the C:\Windows\system32 or C:\WINNT\system32 directory.
Administrative permissions are required to save the file to this location.
- Before starting the ArcInfo command line session, turn off virus scanning software on the computer. An ArcInfo workspace is a single application directory, and concurrent access to files in the workspace by ArcInfo processes and virus scanning can trigger this error.
- Copying the coverage from the network location to the local hard drive has resolved this error for many customers.
A coverage can only be copied using the ArcInfo Workstation COPY command, or using Copy and Paste in ArcCatalog. Coverage data may not be copied using Windows Explorer. Access the link to the Knowledge Base article 27540 "How can I display ADF files from a coverage in ArcMap?" at the link below for further information about the structure of an ArcInfo coverage.