How To: Apply the labeling properties of one layer to another layer in ArcMap
Instructions provided describe how to apply the labeling properties of one layer or .LYR file to that of another layer in ArcMap.
Labeling properties are stored in a layer file and can be applied to other layers. However, the feature types must be the same and fields used in the labeling expression must appear in the target layer's attribute table.
- Verify that new dataset has the same fields for labeling.
- Set the labeling properties to be the same as used in the previous map document. For example, if Maplex was used before, switch to the Maplex Labeling Engine and select the Fast or Best labeling option, depending on which option was used in the previous map document.
- Add the previously saved layer file to the map.
- Set the data source for that layer.
- Change the layer name in the ArcMap Table of Contents so that it matches the dataset name.