Bug: Cannot see rasters in ArcGIS 9.1
No raster files are listed when attempting to view them in ArcCatalog, add them to ArcMap using the Add Data dialog box, or by navigating to Tools > Options > Raster > File Formats.
Third-party, non-ESRI applications have incorrectly installed raster support files into the c:\windows\system32 directory.
This solution will solve the problem of rasters not being visible. If an installed program references these files, it may not function properly after they are renamed.
Warning: Do NOT delete the files unless you are certain they are no longer in use.
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Start Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\winnt\system32 or C:\windows\system32 directory and look for the following files:
- If any of these files are present, rename them or move them to another location. For example, rename the file 'ethrlib.dll' to 'ethrlib.old'.
Warning: Do not delete these files. They may be used by another application. If so please contact the software vendor for information and assistance.
- Download the ZIP file in the Related Information section below and save it to disk.
- Extract the file RasterReg.exe.
- Navigate to the extracted file, and double-click. This registers three COM Raster DLLs:
- Verify that raster files are now visible in ArcGIS.