How To: Install IBM HTTP Server 1.3.26 and Websphere 5.0 using Java 1.4.2_06 for ArcIMS 9.1 on Windows
Instructions provided are for the installation and configuration of IBM HTTP Server 1.3.26 with WebSphere 5.0 using J2SDK 1.4.2_06 for ArcIMS 9.1 on Windows.
Specific information for the installation of ArcIMS is included with the product's Install Guide.
WebSphere possesses its own native servlet engine and does not require other third-party servlet engines.
This installation will require the following software:
- Java 2 SDK, v.1.4.2_06
- IBM HTTP Server 1.3.26
- WebSphere 5.0 Application Server
- ArcIMS 9.1 Installation CD
- Familiarity with certain Windows tasks is required to install and configure ArcIMS. For details, see Common Windows tasks when installing ArcIMS.
- For more information on the acronyms and terms used in this document, see the Glossary of terms used in ArcIMS Installation articles.
- Review and follow steps 1 and 2 from the ArcIMS Installation Guide on the DVD. These two steps ensure that the system meets the minimum requirements and assist in planning the ArcIMS site configuration. To open the ArcIMS Installation Guide, launch the DVD menu and click 'ArcIMS Installation Guide'.
ArcIMS 3.1, 4.0, 4.0.1 or 9.0 must be uninstalled to install ArcIMS 9.1. The setup program for ArcIMS 9.1 on Windows prompts for the removal of previously installed versions.
If ArcIMS components are distributed among several computers, it is recommended the uninstall program be manually run on each computer.
Warning: A supported Web server and Servlet Engine must be properly installed and configured before running the setup program for ArcIMS 9.1.
- Uninstall any unsupported versions of JDK/JRE, Webserver, and Servlet Engine. For more information, refer to the following technical article, How To: Uninstall ArcIMS-related third-party software on Windows.
- Install Java 2 SDK, v. 1.4.2_06.
- Click J2SDK 1.4.2_06 to download Sun Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, version 1.4.2_06.
- Click 'Download J2SDK'.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Click on the download link for the Windows Offline Installation Multi-Language. The file j2sdk-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe is downloaded.
- Run the program after it has finished downloading.
- Accept all of the default installation options, unless changes are required.
- Install WebSphere 5.0.
- Launch the LaunchPad.bat file on the WebSphere installation CD.
- Select Install the product.
- Select English to launch the installation.
- Click 'I accept the terms of the license agreement' on the Software License Agreement dialog, then click 'Next'.
- Select Custom at the 'Choose the setup type' dialog. Click Next.
- Remove the checkmark in the checkbox for 'Embedded Messaging'. Click Next.
- Verify the installation directories or change them if desired. Click Next.
- Use the default Node Name and verify the host name. Click Next twice to start the installation.
Note: WebSphere requires a few minutes to install.
- Uncheck the 'Register Now' checkbox when the installation has completed and click Next.
- Click the 'Start the Server' link on the 'First Steps' page.
- Click the 'Verify Installation' link when the server has started.
Note: After processing, it should say "Installation Verification is complete" at the bottom of the window.If not, an installation error occurred. Refer to the Troubleshooting section of the WebSphere installation guide on the installation CD. For additional resources on installing WebSphere Click Here.
- Configure IBM HTTP Server 1.3.26.
- Open the httpd.conf file located in <drive>:\Program Files\IBMHttpServer\conf in a text editor.
- Verify that the ServerName parameter, located at the top of the file, reflects the correct host name specified during the installation.
- Append default.htm, default.html, and index.htm to the end of the DirectoryIndex parameter so that it appears as follows:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var default.htm default.html index.htm
- Add the following code under the Alias section of the file:
Alias /Output "C:/ArcIMS/Output" Alias /output "C:/ArcIMS/Output" Alias /OUTPUT "C:/ArcIMS/Output" Alias /WEBSITE "C:/ArcIMS/WebSite" Alias /website "C:/ArcIMS/WebSite" Alias /WebSite "C:/ArcIMS/WebSite" Alias /Website "C:/ArcIMS/WebSite" <Directory "C:/ArcIMS/Website"> Options Indexes MultiViews AllowOverride None Order allow,deny Allow from all </Directory>
Note: Verify that the paths specified above accurately reflect the environment.
- Find the line 'UseCanonicalName on' and comment it out with a '#':
# Use CanonicalName on
- Save and close the file.
- Navigate to Administrative Tools > Services to open the Services panel.
- Start IBM HTTP Administration 1.3.26.
- Start IBM HTTP Server 1.3.26.
- Open a browser, and type: http://<machinename>
Note: A 'Welcome to IBM HTTP Server' page should appear.
- Install ArcIMS 9.1 from the installation CD.
- To configure ArcIMS 9.1, run the ArcIMS Post Installation. Refer to the ArcIMS 9.1 Installation Guide, Step 3B.
- To Configure WebSphere to work with ArcIMS 9.1, please refer to the ArcIMS 9.1 Installation Guide, Step 4.
- Verify that the ArcIMS installation was successful.
- Navigate to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > ArcIMS > ArcIMS Diagnostics.
- Verify the Web server protocol and Web server name are correct, including the domain and port number. The default is port 80.
Note: On Windows XP/2003 machines, Internet Explorer sometimes does not show the hostname and port number. If this is the case, right-click near the top of the window and select 'Allow Blocked Content'.
- Test both components. The result for Test 1 should be:
The result for Test 2 should be:
Note: If these tests are successful, the ArcIMS Application Server and ArcIMS Servlet Connector are configured correctly. If an error message is received, select the error number from the dropdown list and click View. The error number and a description displays. Follow the instructions in the description to fix the problem and then try the Diagnostics tool again.
- For the final step to get ArcIMS running, refer to the ArcIMS 9.1 Installation Guide, Step 5: "Configure ArcIMS".