How To: Diagnose the error "Error when trying to administer service" for an MXD (ArcMap) file
This article is for the diagnosis and troubleshooting of when ArcIMS fails to create an ArcMap Image Service from a specific .MXD file, or map configuration file created with ArcGIS ArcMap, returning the following error message:
Error: "Error when trying to administer service"
- Are the data source paths stored with the full paths?
A. Open the MXD file in ArcMap and then navigate to File > Map / Document Properties.
B. Click on Data Source Options button and select the Store full path names option.
C. Click OK.
- Does the data come from ArcSDE?
A. Verify that you can successfully ping test the ArcSDE machine. Navigate to Start > Run, type cmd and click OK. Type the following command:
ping <name of ArcSDE server>B. Check which port the instance of ArcSDE is running on (default is 5151). Is the connection parameter defined accordingly in the map configuration file and is the port accessible over the network? Test this on a DOS command prompt with the following command:
telnet <name of ArcSDE Server> 5151C. Verify that the username and password specified for the connection are correct.
D. Create a new connection from Author (if AXL) or ArcMap (if MXD) with the same parameters used in the AXL or MXD file and test the connection. If the connection fails, troubleshoot and fix the cause of it first before trying to create an ArcIMS map service.
- Are there any ArcMap Extensions currently enabled?
A. Open the MXD in ArcMap and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
B. You can try removing extensions and see if this will allow you to create the map service in ArcIMS Administrator.
- Is the connection information saved with the MXD file? Refer to the link in the Related Links section below for issues with serving ArcMap documents referencing ArcSDE data.
- Do all the layers in the MXD reference ArcSDE data containing fields with subtypes? Refer to the link in the Related Links section below for issues with serving ArcMap documents referencing ArcSDE data.
- Can you create an ArcMap Image Service map service from ArcIMS sample MXD data? See the link in the Related Links section below for information on how to test creating a map service with sample data.
- Cannot serve ArcMap documents referencing ArcSDE data
- Test ArcIMS 9.x to ensure map services can be created with sample data.