How To: Create a transform .MST file for the ArcGIS Desktop and Engine Developer Kit setups
The information provided below describes how to create a basic transform for the ArcGIS Desktop Developer Kit setup and the ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit setup using ORCA, a free tool available from the MSI SDK.
Other tools are available that uses a wizard to create transform files; for example, Wise for Windows Installer and InstallShield Admin Studio.
For more information on deploying managed ArcGIS setups, see the links in the Related Information section below.
Transform (.MST) files are used to customize setups created using Microsoft Installer (MSI) technology. An .MST file can be used to install ArcGIS products with pre-determined parameters without Graphical User Interface or user interaction. The .MSI file and the .MST file are then used to deploy ArcGIS products. The .MST file customizes the properties of an ArcGIS MSI package; this can include the installation location and features to install.
The bullet points below include information on changing the features selected for installation and changing the default installation location using ORCA. Use any or all of the parameters as needed.
See the Related Information section below to download ORCA. ORCA requires Windows Installer SDK v.2.0.
1. Download and install the Windows Installer SDK v. 2.0.
2. Navigate to the installation location and launch Orca.msi from the \bin folder.
3. The Orca.msi launches the Orca setup program. Once the setup program is complete, an Orca shortcut is added to the Start Menu.
1. Open the setup.msi in ORCA.
2. On the main toolbar, navigate to Transform > New Transform.
3. Customize the transform using the information from the following bullet points:
· To change the features selected for installation:
The parent feature of any sub-features also needs to be specified to be installed. For example, to install the Samples feature, then the Software_Developer_Kit feature would also need to be changed from a level 4 to a level 3.
Note for ArcGIS 9x users only: To install the .NET feature for ArcGIS Desktop Developer Kit, as well as editing the DotNet feature in the feature table, edit the DotNet feature in the Condition Table by also changing the Level from a level 4 to a level 3.
Note for ArcGIS 9x users only: To install the .NET feature for ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit, as well as editing the DotNetDevKit feature in the feature table, edit the DotNetDevKit feature in the Condition Table by also changing the Level from a level 4 to a level 3.
2. To remove features, select the features not to be installed and change the Level from level 3 to level 4 in the Feature table.
By default a typical installation is selected.
· To change the default installation location:
1. In the installExecuteSequence table, add a row.
The values for the fields are
2. In the CustomAction table, add a row.
The values for the fields are
Target: C:\ArcGIS9 (or any other value)
The Action name can be changed, but the name used must be the same in both tables.
For ArcGIS 10.x users:
1. In the CustomAction table, select the GetSDKDir Action to modify it.
2. Change the Target value of the GetSDKDir Action from [InstallDir] to the desired installation location. For example, C:\SDK\ (this installs the ArcObjects SDK to C:\SDK\DeveloperKit10.0).
The first ArcObjects 10 SDK installed determines the location of all subsequent ArcObjects 10 SDKs (including ArcGIS Server 10 Web Applications).
For ArcGIS 9.x users: Changing the installation location is only applied if the product is the first ArcGIS 9 product being installed. If an ArcGIS 9 product has already been installed, all subsequent products are installed to this location.
For ArcGIS 10.x users: Changing the installation location can be applied to any ArcObjects SDK installed; however, if installing more than one ArcObjects SDK on the same machine, the first ArcObjects SDK installed determines the installation location for subsequent ArcObjects SDKs.
4. When the transform is completed, navigate to Transform > Generate Transform on the main toolbar to create the .MST file.
- ESRI White Paper: Deploying Managed ArcGIS 9 Setups
- Microsoft KB Article on Installing and Using ORCA
- Create a transform MST file for the ArcGIS Desktop setup
- Create a transform .MST file for the ArcGIS Desktop and Engine Developer Kit setups
- Create a Windows Installer Transform (*.MST) file for ArcInfo Workstation setup
- ORCA Download