How To: Create a transform MST file for the ArcGIS Engine, ArcReader, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Server ADF setups
Instructions provided describe how to create a basic transform for the ArcGIS Engine, ArcReader, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Server ADF setups using Orca, a free tool available from the Microsoft Installer (MSI) SDK.
Other tools are available that use a wizard to create transform files; for example, Wise for Windows Installer and InstallShield Admin Studio.
For more information on deploying managed ArcGIS setups, see the links in the Related Information section below.
Transform MST files are used to customize setups created using Microsoft Installer (MSI) technology. An MST file can be used to install ArcGIS products with pre-determined parameters without a Graphical User Interface (GUI) or user interaction. The MSI file and the MST file are then used to deploy ArcGIS products. The MST file customizes the properties of an ArcGIS MSI package; this can include the installation location and the features to install.
The bullet points below include information on changing the features selected for installation and changing the default installation location using Orca. Use either or both of the parameters as needed.
See the Related Information section below to download Orca. Orca requires Windows Installer SDK v.2.0.
To install Windows Installer SDK v.2.0:
- Download and install the Windows Installer SDK v. 2.0.
- Navigate to the installation location and launch Orca.msi from the \bin folder.
- The Orca.msi launches the Orca setup program. Once the setup program is complete, an Orca shortcut is added to the Start Menu.
- Open the setup.msi in Orca.
- On the main toolbar, navigate to Transform > New Transform.
- Customize the transform using the information from the following bullet points:
- To change the features selected for installation:
- To add features, select the features to install and change the Level from level 4 to level 3 in the Feature table.
- To add features, in the Feature table, select the features to install and change the Level from level 4 to level 3.
- To prevent features from being installed, in the Feature table, select the features and change the Level from level 3 to level 4.
Note: By default, a typical installation is selected.
- To change the default installation location:
- In the installExecuteSequence table, add a row.
- In the CustomAction table, add a row.
Target: C:\ArcGIS9 (or any other value)
Note: The Action name can be changed, but the name used must be the same in both tables.
- In the CustomAction table, locate the custom action called ESRI_Get_INSTALLDIR.
- The target column for this custom action is [INSTALLDIR]. Change this to the desired installation location, for example, C:\MyServer10.0.
Note: Note for ArcGIS 9.x users only: Changing the installation location is only applied if the product is the first ArcGIS 9.x product being installed. If an ArcGIS 9.x product has already been installed, all subsequent products are installed to this location.
- When the transform is completed, navigate to Transform > Generate Transform on the main toolbar to create the MST file.
- ESRI White Paper: Deploying Managed ArcGIS 9 Setups
- Microsoft KB Article on Installing and Using ORCA
- Create a transform MST file for the ArcGIS Desktop setup
- Create a Windows Installer Transform (*.MST) file for ArcInfo Workstation setup
- ORCA Download
- ESRI White paper: ArcGIS 10 Enterprise Deployment