How To: Modify a raster catalog to store metadata for each raster in a raster catalog
Instructions provided describe the steps to modify a raster catalog to store metadata for each raster, as well as the process to start editing the metadata for the rasters.
Follow the steps below to modify an existing raster catalog containing raster data.
- Open ArcCatalog and navigate to the raster catalog.
- Right-click the raster catalog in the Catalog tree and select Properties.
- Click the Fields tab.
- Add a new field to the raster catalog called Metadata.
- Set the 'Data Type' for this field to BLOB.
- Click OK to accept the changes and close the Properties dialog box.
- With the raster catalog still selected, verify the Contents tab is selected so the list of raster names in the catalog is displayed.
- Click the 'Expand Window' button.
- Select Metadata from the dropdown in the window that appears after step 8.
- Select a raster from the list in the Contents window. Verify the metadata displayed is for the individual raster selected.
- Click the 'Edit metadata' button on the metadata toolbar to begin editing the metadata for this raster.
For additional information, see the ArcGIS Desktop help topic "Editing metadata" from Contents tab > ArcCatalog > Working with metadata.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000007605
Software: ArcGIS-ArcEditor 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0 ArcGIS-ArcInfo 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0 ArcGIS-ArcView 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0