How To: Create 3D text that uses transparency in an animation in ArcScene
In ArcScene, 3D text can be made to fade in and out when creating an animation. The transparency can be controlled by creating a keyframe of layer properties on a New Graphics Layer.
Follow the steps below to create a transparency on 3D text within an ArcScene animation.
- For ArcGIS 9.x users click View > Toolbars from the Main Menu and check '3D Graphics.'
For ArcGIS 10 users click Customize > Toolbars from the Main Menu and check '3D Graphics.'
- Click Graphics and select the 'New Graphics Layer' option. A new layer is added to the Table of Contents.
- Click Graphics > 'Active Graphics Layer Target' on the '3D Graphics' toolbar to verify this is set to the New Graphic Layer.
- Click the '3D Text' tool and add the desired 3D text.
- Click Animation from the Animation toolbar and select 'Create Keyframe.'
This keyframe runs the duration of the animation and controls the properties of the layer such as transparency.
- Select Layer from the Type drop-down list. Select 'New Graphics Layer' from the 'Source object' drop-down list.
- Click New under 'Destination Track.'
- Type the name of the animation track or accept the default name of Layer Track 1. Click OK.
- Click Create. This creates a keyframe that records the properties of the New Graphics Layer as they are currently set.
- For ArcGIS 9.x users click View > Toolbars from the Main Menu and check '3D Effects.' Select 'New Graphics Layer' from the Layer drop-down list.
For ArcGIS 10 users, click Customize > Toolbars from the Main Menu and check '3D Effects.' Select 'New Graphics Layer' from the Layer drop-down list.
- Change the transparency on the '3D Effects' toolbar using the 'Layer Transparency' tool and click Create again. This creates a second keyframe for Layer Track 1.
A property can repeatedly be changed and a new keyframe can be created without closing the Create Animation Keyframe dialog box. At least two keyframes are needed to create a track that shows change.
- Close the 'Create Animation Keyframe' dialog box.
- Click View > Toolbars (customize > Toobars for ArcGIS 10 users) from the Main Menu and check Animation. Click 'Open Animation Controls' from the Animation toolbar and run the animation. The timing of the Keyframes for the track layer may need to be adjusted using the Animation Manager.