Error: Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure
When starting the ArcIMS Application Server, the following error occurs:
"Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure"
The error message can display for a number of reasons; most often it occurs when the account password under which ArcIMS is running has been changed.
Solution or Workaround
Try each procedure as outlined, in the order given below. If none of the procedures provide an answer, proceed to Step 4, Contact ESRI Technical Support, and supply the Support Analyst with the answers to the questions described within that step.
- Update the Logon Information for the ArcIMS Services
- In Windows, navigate to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
- Right-click on the ArcIMS Application Server service; select Properties.
- Switch to the Log On tab.
- Enter the password for the listed account in both the Password and Confirm password boxes. It may be necessary to check if the password was recently changed. Click OK.
- Start the Service. If it starts, repeat the above steps for the ArcIMS Monitor and the ArcIMS Tasker services.
- Log out and log in
Log out and log back in with the username and password used in step D above. If the username and password do not work for logging into Windows, contact your network system administrator. The system administrator will need to investigate why this account can not log into this Windows machine.
- Verify permissions
If the user and password can be used to log into the machine but can not be used to start ArcIMS, the account may not have the necessary permissions to logon as a Windows service. In this case, run the ArcIMS post-installation. It asks for the account and password and resets the 'log on as a service' permission.
- Contact ESRI Technical Support
If none of the above procedures gave satisfactory results, contact ESRI Technical Support. You will be asked to provide the following information:
Question 1: What were your results when you followed the procedures in this article (#28017)? Please include this article number, #28017, in your request for support.
Question 2: Is this a new installation of ArcIMS, an upgrade of ArcIMS, or an existing ArcIMS installation?
Question 3: Is the Windows account used for ArcIMS a local account or a domain account? If you are unsure, please tell the support analyst.
Question 4: Is there anything unusual with the account being used for ArcIMS?
Question 5: Were any errors encountered when running the post-installation in Step 2?