How To: Set geoprocessing toolbox/tool help values on their Properties dialog box
Instructions provided describe how to set geoprocessing toolbox/tool help values on their Properties dialog box. To use a custom CHM file, various properties of a custom toolbox/tools must be set, including Help File and Help Context values.
Follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the custom toolbox/tool and select Properties from the context menu. The Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Help tab on the Properties dialog box.
- Check the 'Reference a compiled help (CHM) file for the tool help:' option.
- Navigate and find the CHM file created and set it as the Help File option.
- Select a numeric value for the Help Context value. While the value is user-defined, remember to keep it unique. Repetition of this value can cause unexpected results, such as the wrong help file being opened, no file being opened, etc.
System tools Help Context values start at 1,000,000 and range through 20,000,000, so it is recommended the Help Context values be kept outside that range.
- Creating mapping and alias files that work and how to set the toolbox/tool properties
- Create a [MAP] file for geoprocessing toolboxes/tools and use it to create a compiled help system (CHM)
- Create an [ALIAS] file for geoprocessing toolboxews/tools and use it to create a compiled help system (CHM)
- Reference a [MAP] and [ALIAS] file in a compiled help project file (*.hhp)