How To: Remove duplicate labels from a point layer
Instructions provided describe how to remove duplicate labels from a point layer. When labeling a point layer, the option to remove a duplicate label is not available by default.
Note: This article pertains to ArcGIS versions 9.x only. Later versions of ArcGIS may contain different functionality, as well as different names and locations for menus, commands and geoprocessing tools.
Create a buffer polygon around the point layer and then use the buffer polygon layer's label option to remove duplicate labels.
- Create a buffer around the point layer.
- Launch Arctoolbox within ArcMap.
- Select Analysis tools > Proximity Tools > Buffer.
- Drag and drop the point layer from the ArcMap Table of Contents to the Input Features text box in the Buffer dialog.
- Fill in, or select the remaining items in the Buffer dialog.
- Label the polygon buffer with the option to remove duplicate labels.
- Add the polygon layer to the map.
- Right-click the layer and select Properties.
- Click the Labels tab and select the appropriate Label Field.
- Click the Placement Properties button, click the Placement tab and click the radio button to Remove duplicate labels.
- Click OK to save the changes and dismiss the Placement Properties dialog.
- Click the Symbology tab on the Layer Properties dialog, click the Symbol button and change the Fill and Outline colors to No Color.