Problem: Unable to change the order of layers in Table of Contents for ArcMap
After changing the order of layers in the Table of Contents, the layers return to their original order.
The following are two possible causes of this issue:
- The layers order is changed in tabs other than the List By Drawing Order tab in the Table of Contents.
- The layers order is changed while all layers are selected. Starting with ArcMap 9.x and 10, all layers are automatically selected when multiple layers are added simultaneously.
Solution or Workaround
To change the order of layers in the Table of Content, select the List By Drawing Order tab. Drag and drop the layers in the Table of Content to adjust their drawing order. If all the layers are selected, click in a blank area of the Table of Contents to unselect the layers before adjusting their drawing order.
- ArcMap Help: Ways to list layers in the table of contents
- Problem: Dragging and dropping layers from ArcCatalog into a map's TOC will not order by feature class
- FAQ: Will giving layers the same name in the ArcMap TOC impact analysis or give unexpected results?
- How To: Set visibility for all the layers in ArcMap to false
- How To: Change between the Display and Source tabs in the ArcMap Table of Contents (TOC) with ArcObjects
Last Published: 10/2/2018
Article ID: 000007138
Software: ArcMap 10.5.1, 10.5