How To: Label lines with a line marker symbol at specified intervals
Instructions provided create routes from lines and specify hatch marker symbols at specified intervals. It is not currently possible to set a label or a line marker symbol to recognize distances along a line.
Follow the steps below.
- Create a new Route feature class in the same geodatabase as the line feature class using ArcCatalog.
- Right-click the geodatabase and select New > Feature Class.
- Type a name for the new feature class.
- Select This feature class will store ESRI simple features, and click Next.
- If the geodatabase is a personal geodatabase, skip the next step and click Next.
- Select a configuration keyword and click Next.
- Click the field to the right of Allow NULL values, click the drop-down arrow and select No to prevent null shapes from being stored.
- Click the field to the right of Geometry Type, click the drop-down arrow and select Line for the feature type.
- Click the field to the right of Contains M values, click the drop-down arrow and select Yes.
- Click the Spatial Reference Properties button.
- Click Select, Import, or New to set the coordinate system for the feature class.
- When finished setting the coordinate system click OK to return to the New Feature Class dialog.
- Click Finish.
- Paste the original line feature class into the newly created routes feature class in ArcMap and save the edits.
- Calculate M values for the lines: How To: Edit measure (M) values with the Field Calculator
Note: Verify the code below is used instead of the 'Pre-Logic VBA Script Code' provided in the document.
dim pms as imsegmentation set pms = [Shape] pms.setandinterpolatemsbetween 0,[SHAPE_Length] dim pg as igeometry set pg = pms
- Create the hatches at the desired interval.
- Right-click the layer in the table of contents and select Properties.
- Select the Hatches tab.
- Enter an appropriate Hatch interval.
- Check Hatch features in this layer.
- Click Hatch Def(1) to activate the Hatch Definition view.
- Click the Marker option radio button, and then click the symbol button next to it.
- Click Properties and change the Symbol Property Editor Type to 'Character Marker Symbol.
- Select a Character Marker Symbol and click OK.
- Change the size and the color then click OK.