Problem: Running an AML via a Python script causes notepad.exe to open
An AML can be run via the geoprocessing tools at ArcGIS 9.0 with a Python script. Occasionally, the AML will not run, and in it's place notepad.exe will open and display the AML.
The Windows OS is associating files ending with .AML as Notepad.exe files.
- In Windows Explorer or My Computer, click Tools > Folder Options.
- Click the Files Types tab.
- Scroll through the list of registered file types to the AML extension listing.
Note that the AML extension is associated with Notepad.
- Select the AML record, and the ADVANCED button will change to read RESTORE. Click RESTORE.
- The File Types value of the AML record will change to AMLFILE. AML scripts will now run correctly and Notepad will not display during their execution.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000007084
Software: ArcGIS-ArcEditor 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0 ArcGIS-ArcInfo 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0 ArcGIS-ArcView 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0