How To: Obtain a GIF license to use with ArcIMS
GIF files use the Lempel-Ziv-Welch (LZW) compression technology, which is patented by Unisys Corporation. The patent expired in all countries on July 7, 2004, and a GIF keycode can now be posted.
The following GIF keycode authorization number is available to use with ArcIMS:
- In a text editing application, open aimsms.cfg file. Location of aimsms.cfg file for Windows:
<ArcIMS Installation Directory>\ArcIMS\Server\etc directory
Location of aimsms.cfg file for UNIX and Linux:
- Look for the following line:
<PARAMETER name="giflicense" value="GIF keycode" />
Replace "GIF keycode" with "A51M3A0LE3".
<PARAMETER name="giflicense" value="A51M3A0LE3" />
- Save and close aimsms.cfg file.
- Repeat Steps 1 through 3 for each machine with a Monitor (ArcIMS Spatial Server).
- Restart ArcIMS Monitor and Application Server. When you change any setting in a .cfg file, you must restart the Monitor and Application Server. The changes you make affect only the Spatial Server(s) on the machine you are using to edit the .cfg files. So, if your site configuration includes multiple machines for Spatial Servers, you must change the configuration files on each machine, then restart the Monitor on each machine plus the Application Server.
- Restart the ArcIMS Services. When restarting services, always use the following order:
Stop Application Server.
Start Application Server.
Restarting on Windows NT:
Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Services.
Restarting on Windows 2000, XP, and 2003
Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
In the Services Window, select ArcIMS Monitor, then click Stop. Repeat this step for ArcIMS Application Server.
Select ArcIMS Application Server, then click Start. Repeat this step for ArcIMS Monitor.
Restarting on UNIX and Linux:
Navigate to the $AIMSHOME/Xenv directory.
Stop the ArcIMS daemons in the following order:
./aimsmonitor stop &
2. Application Server
./aimsappsrvr stop &
Start the ArcIMS daemons in the following order:
1. Application Server
./aimsappsrvr start &
./aimsmonitor start &