How To: Enable Logging for Requests Sent to WMS Servers
When logging is enabled, HTTP requests that the OGC Interoperability Add-on generates and sends to Web Map Service (WMS) servers are printed to the corresponding log files:
- When clicking Get List, a GetCapabilities request is sent to the server. Requests are printed to the GetCapabilities.log file.
- When clicking Add Data, a GetMap request is sent to the server. Requests are printed to the GetMap.log file.
GetMap requests are also sent and logged every time a navigation operation is performed in a map that contains a WMS layer.
- When identifying features from a WMS layer, a GetFeatureInfo request is sent to the server. Requests are printed to the GetFeatureInfo.log file.
If problems occur with a particular WMS server or layer, a troubleshooting technique is to copy these requests into a Web browser. All requests to WMS servers return data in xml, html, or plain text format, so the response can be displayed directly in the Web browser. Each request is time-stamped and new requests are appended to the end of the log files.
- Open the log_conf.xml file in a text editor. The log_conf.xml file is located in C:\arcgis\arcexe83\bin\InteroperabilityExtension.
- Change the log_mode value to 'on'.
<Log_mode value="on" />
Log files are written to the C:\arcgis\arcexe83\bin\InteroperabilityExtension\ directory. Change this directory by setting a value for the Logfile_directory setting in the log_conf.xml file.
- Save the file.
- Restart ArcMap for the changes to register.