How To: Copy an ArcIMS site from a development machine to a production server
Instructions provided describe how to copy an ArcIMS site from a development machine to a production server. If a development machine is used to create ArcIMS sites and a production server is used to publish them to the Web, the following steps must be followed before publishing a site.
If the production environment's machine name, URL, or both, are different than what was used when creating an ArcIMS site in the development environment then the following changes are necessary.
- Update the map configuration file.
- Make sure the *.axl file and its referenced data are accessible from the production server. If necessary, copy them to the according location on the production server.
- In a text editor, open the *.axl file
- Verify that the path to the <WORKSPACES> is pointing to data locations accessible from the production server. Change the value if necessary, for example:
<IMAGEWORKSPACE name="imageworkspace" directory="<full_path>"/>
<SHAPEWORKSPACE name="shapeworkspace" directory="<full_path> />
<SDEWORKSPACE name="sdeworkspace" directory="<full_path> />
- Save changes and close the file.
- On the production server, update or create the according map service.
- On the production server, login to ArcIMS Administrator or ArcIMS Service Administrator.
- Create or update a corresponding map service.
- Point to the updated *.axl file.
- Make sure the name of the map service is identical with the name on the development machine. Mapservice names are case sensitive.
- Verify the map service property Server Output HTTP Location points to the fully qualified name of the machine; for example: http://mymachine.esri.com/output
- Create the map service.
- Save the Site configuration and close the application.
- Update the Web site.
- Copy the created Web site folders from the development machine to the according Web site directory on the production server.
- In each copied Web site directory based on the HTML Viewer, open ArcIMSParam.js in a text editor. Change the imsURL and imsOVURL variable values to use the fully qualified machine name.
var imsURL = 'http://mymachine.esri.com/servlet/com.esri.esrimap.Esrimap?ServiceName=acetate'; var imsOVURL = 'http://mymachine.esri.com/servlet/com.esri.esrimap.Esrimap?ServiceName=acetate';
- Save your changes.
- In each copied Web site directory based on the JAVA Viewer, open default.axl in a text editor.
Change the URL attribute values for the IMAGESERVERWORKSPACE and/or FEATURESERVERWORKSPACE tags to reflect the fully qualified URL. Save and close the default.axl file.
- In a Web browser, launch the Web site with the fully qualified domain name to check if it works correctly.
- Migrate ArcIMS Intranet Applications to the Internet
- Getting a red X instead of the map image
- Error when trying to administer mapservice. Service cannot be created. Data for the layer of dataframe is not found.