How To: Install the 9.x ArcGIS License Manager and the 8.x ESRI License Manager on one Windows machine
Use the following article to install the 9.x ArcGIS License Manager on a Windows machine that is already hosting an 8.x ESRI License Manager. Before the installation of ArcGIS 9.x, verify that version 8.x of the ESRI License Manager has been installed and configured. If not, see the License Manager Reference Guide on the ArcInfo Workstation 8.x CD for more information.
Multiple versions of ArcGIS Desktop and ArcInfo Workstation cannot be installed on the same machine. The information in this article refers only to the License Manager used by these applications.
Installation of the 9.x ArcGIS License Manager is required. Adding the 9.x license file to an existing 8.x license file or using the 8.x License Manager Update License Tool does not work. Obtain a 9.x license file from ESRI Customer Service for the 9.x version of the License Manager.
If the 9.x ArcGIS License Manager and the 8.x ESRI License Manager are to be installed on the same machine, they must use the same hardware key. Two hardware keys cannot be used on one machine.
The two vendor daemons cannot use the same port. By default, the 9.x ARCGIS daemon is set to 27004 and the 8.x ESRI daemon is set to 27005.
If the machine on which the ArcGIS 9.x License Manager is installed is already hosting 8.x or a previous License Manager, use the steps below.
- Acquire the existing hardware key number by navigating to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager > Display Hardware Key Status.
- With the hardware key number, visit the ESRI Customer Service Web site to obtain a 9.x license file. Once it is received by e-mail, save it to a disk. Users outside of the U.S., please contact a local ESRI distributor to obtain a new license file.
- Run the ArcGIS 9.x License Manager installation using either LMSetup.exe on the Desktop disk or LicenseManager.exe on the Workstation disk. Both can be found in the \License folder on the respective CD.
- Once the installation is complete, reboot the machine.
- From each of the ArcGIS 9.x client machines that are to access this License Manager, navigate to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Desktop Administrator > License Manager, and enter the hostname of the machine where the ArcGIS License Manager is installed. The ArcGIS 9.x software recognizes the appropriate License Manager.
- ESRI Customer Service
- Has the License Manager changed in ArcGIS 9.x?
- Install the 9.0 ArcGIS License Manager and the 8.x ESRI License Manager on one UNIX machine